List:       evms-devel
Subject:    [Evms-devel] Hardware-to-software RAID conversion functionality
From:       Peter Smith <peter.smith () utsouthwestern ! edu>
Date:       2003-09-22 23:02:52

I've seen a lot of talk about RAID Personalities or pluggable RAID
Engines lately and this got me thinking about a manual recovery
operation I had to perform on a dead two-disk RAID-1 set caused by a
failing RAID controller on one of my servers.  It would be very
interesting to be able to, someday, mount hardware-RAID created disk
sets using software-RAID.  Obviously this is sort-of counter-intuitive
so probably being able to transition a set of drives from the
proprietary hardware-RAID type to a more usable software-RAID type and
keep the data in the process would be more likely to occur (or basically
an out-of-band conversion operation.)

Anyways, just thought I'd throw that out there.

--Peter