List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Betr: Re: [Evms-devel] Sparc evms
From:       jbelshaw () tiscali ! nl
Date:       2003-09-10 14:11:31

Hi Don,

I eventually got the evms md kernel patches to compile on sparc64 by extracting
the generic_ffs function from asm/bitops.h and putting it in a separate
include file and putting that in md.h.

I am not a C programmer so I don't know what the real problem is but I
did see something on the 'net about if you call one include file before the
other then the 2nd one is not run.

>I have some success compiling the 2.4.21 kernel with the
>evms and dm patches.  There is just one slight issue with
>asm/bitops.h clashing with linux/bitops.h.

Describe clashing please.

>I wondered if anyone else was using evms on sparc64 ?

I did ... but quite some time ago.  I don't have any sun hw of my own so
borrow from time to time.

>I am looking at using dual attached SCSI for cluster failover
>and I am seeing problems with the sym53xx scsi driver.

Do you mean dual porte
> scsi drives with a single scsi host adapter in each
cluster node? What kinda problems are you having?

I have two ultra 60's [actually we have lot's of sun hardware, we are throwing
it away to worthy causes as it is becoming expensive to maintain] and a d1000
dual ended diff scsi disk enclosure with 8*18 GB drives.

I leave one box on host id 7 and the other I move to host id 5 using the
sun boot prom nvramrc and/or setenv scsi-initiator-id 5.  The disks are on
id's 1-4 and a-d.  Both machines boot fine individually ie when the other
is powered off but I get continual SCSI resets and ABORTs when the other
is up.

I am using the Symbios scsi HBA with the sym53c8xx driver but I
don't know if this particular driver supports dual ended scsi chains.

My aim is too look at cluster failover using the shared disks and eventually
cluster file systems when the evms cluster file system code is stable.

John