List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] upgrade problem 1.2 -> 2.0.1
From:       Brendon Baumgartner <brendon () brendon ! com>
Date:       2003-06-25 20:01:11

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 09:31:58PM +0200, Maik Amelmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i just joined this list, but browsing the archive I didn't find any
> solution, so if this is a FAQ don't flame me too hard please.
>
> I use gentoo linux and upgraded from evms 1.2 to 2.0.1. After
> recompiling the kernel I rebooted the machine and found that
> evms_activate throws the following errors:
>
> error, i/o error reading MBR off drive hde
> Engine: Error code 5 from write of stop data on object hde.
> Engine: Error code 5 from write of stop data on object hde.
> Error returned from evms_commit_changes(): Input/output error
>
> The drive in questions is a brand new samsung 120GB I used with evms 1.2
> by installing a dos region manager, then using it as a native evms
> volume named "storage". Never had any problems with it.
>
> However after running the new evmsn (Another error there: Something
> about the DosRegMgr not being able to read the drives MBR) I found a
> drive "/dev/evms/hde" that could be mounted just fine, and it indeed
> contains my old data.
>
> Question: Is evms 2 not fully backward compatible? Can I somehow repair
> the volume? The file system seems to be just fine. But Trying to change
> anything about that drive with evms always leads to "Error code 5".
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

Maik,

This sounds exactly like a bug I encountered. For some reason I was the only
person with this error, till you arrived that is.  There is a long thread in the
archives about my situation. Are you using Debian also?

Fortunately for us, Kevin wrote a patch for this.  I haven't tested it
thoroughly yet because of computer drama with my roomates.

About backward compatibility. EVMS is backward compatiable as long as
you can get around this bug. :)

The patch is here. Give it a shot.
http://evms.sourceforge.net/patches/2.0.1/engine/localdskmgr.c.patch

Brendon