List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] patch evms2.
From:       "Steve Dobbelstein" <steved () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2003-06-16 14:21:10

Don Mulvey wrote:
> >> I'm not sure about the "modprobe" error. I assume this error shows up
on
> >> your console window. It might be helpful to see your /etc/modules.conf
> >> file. Also, are you running devfs?
>
> >I'm running devfs and my /etc/modues.conf look like this:
>
> ... snip :)
>
> >the only line that report the voice related to evms is:
>
> >### update-modules: start processing /etc/modutils/evms
> >alias block-major-117 dm-mod

OK, I'll risk displaying my ignorance.  Why is the old EVMS block major 117
aliased to the device-mapper module?

> Yea, the line is telling the kernel what to do with block major 117 ...
the
> old evms device major.  Evms doesn't have a kernel module anymore ... but
> it still looks for major 117 to see if its running on a 1.2.x evms kernel
> ... which is wrong.

I don't understand what you are saying is wrong.  Are you saying it's wrong
for EVMS to check for an EVMS 1.2.x kernel?  If so, it's not true.  EVMS 2
must check for an EVMS 1 kernel.  EVMS 2 cannot run with an EVMS 1 kernel.
It can't coordinate the EVMS 2 device-mapper implementation with the EVMS 1
kernel implementation.