List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] possible evms 2.0.0 problems
From:       Kevin Corry <corryk () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2003-03-31 21:55:26

On Monday 31 March 2003 15:50, Kevin M Corry wrote:
> > Can you please run the configure script in evms-2.0.0 and send me the
> > output? Also, can you determine if you have libuuid installed on your
> > system (try running "locate libuuid")?
>
> the configure output is included as an attached file.
> locate uuid returns this (minus some man pages):
> /bin/uuidgen
> /lib/libuuid.so
> /lib/libuuid.so.1
> /lib/libuuid.so.1.2
> /usr/include/apache2/apr_uuid.h
> /usr/include/uuid
> /usr/include/uuid/uuid.h
> /usr/lib/libuuid.a
> /usr/src/evms-2.0.0/plugins/lvm/lvm_uuid.c
> /usr/src/evms-2.0.0/plugins/lvm/lvm_uuid.h

Well...libuuid.so seems to be there (I'm assuming it is a symlink to
libuuid.so.1.2). The configure script finds uuid_compare in libuuid.

Let's try a couple things:

cd /usr/src/evms-2.0.0/plugins/xfs
make clean
make
ldd xfs-1.0.1.so

and send me the output of those commands. This should tell us if the xfs
plug-in is actually linking against libuuid.

> > EVMS 2.0 performs a check to see if the EVMS 1.2.x driver is running in
> > the kernel. If it is, EVMS 2.0 will not run. It performs this check by
> > trying to open the 1.2.x control device (major 117, minor 0). If the open
> > succeeds, the 1.2.x driver is running. Apparently your system is trying
> > to load a kernel module when it gets an open() request for major 117. You
> > might examine your /etc/modules.conf, or if you are running devfs, your
> > /etc/devfs.conf and /etc/modules.devfs files. There ought to be a way to
> > prevent it from trying to load a module for that particular major number,
> > since you know you aren't running the old EVMS driver.
>
> Ok, maybe I'll look into it some other night, or just wait for the Gentoo
> crew to do some magic :) I guess they'll switch to 2.0 soon to, hopefully
> before there 1.4 release. It's just annoying to get error messages when
> there's nothing wrong.. Maybe a configure option to turn that check of for
> the next release? ;-)

We can think about an option to tell the engine to skip that check, which
would eliminate the error messages for you. Or perhaps there is a different
check we can perform instead of the one we are currently using.

> Btw, I didn't know what people say about mail with attachment's on this
> list, it's not big but.. Should I reply theese kind of mail's to the
> evms-devel list too?

Usually a good idea to respond to the list, since other people might be
having similar problems. If you have an especially large attachment to send
in, you can always send it to one of us directly as a separate email.

--
Kevin Corry
corryk@us.ibm.com