List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] Reason Codes
From:       "Steve Dobbelstein" <steved () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2003-02-13 15:14:21

Christian Johansson wrote:
> Hi, all!
>
> I've tried to alter a redhat 8.0 boot-diskette, to use a pure
> evms1.2.1-patched 2.4.20 kernel, with
> all evms-options built as modules and Linux-LVM disabled.
> After boot, when anaconda has started to execute, I'm using the console
> configure the network and
> downloading the evms-modules.
>
> Inserting modules: "evms.o", "evms_passthru.o", "ldev_mgr.o",
"dos_part.o"
> successfully.
> "evms_rediscover" and "evms_devnode_fixup" works.
>
> In  /dev/evms:
>    117,0 block_device
>    117,1 sda1
>
> In /proc/evms/volumes
>    major    minor #blocks           type  flags name
>    117      1     8883913           compat      rw    /dev/evms/sda1
>
> But when I'm trying to run "evms" or "evms_vgcreate", they fail with
> message:
> "Unable to open the EVMS Enging, Engine returns code 2."
>
> Does anybody know why this happens, or where to find the engine's return
> codes?

The Engine uses standard Linux error codes when possible.  2 is ENOENT, "No
such file or directory".  Something is missing that the Engine or one of
its plug-ins needs.  Not very descriptive.  The Engine can return ENOENT
for a variety of reasons.

Try running "evms -d everything" which will open the Engine with debug
level set to "everything".  All internal messages will go to the log,
/var/log/evmsEngine.log.  Send me the log or post it here.  I should have
some clues as to what is missing.

Steve D.