List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] EVMS scrapped - huh?
From:       Ed Tomlinson <tomlins () cam ! org>
Date:       2003-01-06 17:59:22

On January 6, 2003 07:43 am, dereck wrote:
> All,
> I asked the same question about 2 weeks ago
> after a long discussion with Red Hat.  RH
> also said that EVMS is going to be "sunset".
> However, it is not true.
>
> There are plans to scrap the kernel portion
> of EVMS and use LVM 2 as the kernel calls.
> But there are no plans to scrap EVMS from
> what I've been told - the user interface
> and the libraries are still in continuous
> development.

Think of it like this

EVMS interface -> EVMS MD/raid/LVM -> EVMS 'mapper'
LVM2 interface -> device mapper

The kernel development folks did not like the EVMS kernel side stuff.
The device mapper, developed for LVM2 (but it is NOT lvm2) was liked,
so we get

EVMS interface -> kernel MD/raid/LVM -> device mapper

Which should look the same form a user perspective.

Ed Tomlinson