List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] Activating snapshot causes system CRASH
From:       Michel Bouissou <michel () bouissou ! net>
Date:       2002-11-30 22:53:44

Le Samedi 30 Novembre 2002 23:31, Kevin Corry a écrit :

> Yes, I mentioned this in one of my responses from yesterday. There is a
> limitation in the VFS lock patch that only allows one filesystem to be
> sync'd at a time. I had looked into changing this a while ago, but was
> never able to come up with a suitable solution without making some more
> major VFS changes.

Actually, I think I hadn't understood your answer well enough.
I had understood that snapshots wouldn't be committed at the *exact* same time
because of a limitation in VFS, but I have though they would be processed
sequentially.
I haven't imagined that committing several snapshots together would cause the
system to crash, a situation that should never happen...

> What I really need to do is put a check in the Snapshot engine plugin that
> only allows one new snapshot to be activated at a time, and print some kind
> of message when a user tries to activate multiple. I will work on this and
> add it to the upcoming 1.2.1 release.

Maybe what it should do -- if there isn't any better solution -- is that
activating a snapshot should force all pending actions, plus this one, to be
committed immediately (possibly with a warning).

So there couldn't be any more "pending" snapshot activations that could be
committed together and cause a system crash...

> [...]
> Thus, in your script, you can take out all of the individual "commit"
> commands and simply run the CLI *without* the "-c" option.

I prefer to keep it explicitly stated, in case the default behaviour might
change in next release... ;-)

Regards.

--
Michel Bouissou <michel@bouissou.net> OpenPGP ID 0xDDE8AC6E