List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] Snapshotting an ext3 volume
From:       Kevin Corry <kcorry () austin ! rr ! com>
Date:       2002-11-29 18:59:26

On Friday 29 November 2002 12:17, Michel Bouissou wrote:
> Le Vendredi 29 Novembre 2002 19:15, Kevin Corry a écrit :
> > First thing: if you are creating snapshots of journalled filesystems, you
> > need to make sure you have the VFS lock patch applied to your kernel. It
> > is available in the "kernel" directory of the EVMS 1.2.0 package. This
> > patch will tell the original volume's filesystem to flush its data just
> > before the snapshot is created. This should prevent the need for a
> > journal replay on the snapshot.
>
> Uh... I believe I didn't apply this patch and was ignoring its existence
> :-( Why isn't it part of the "main" patch set, if it is important ?

I guess we always kept it as a separate patch because there was the chance
that someone already had that patch applied to their kernel. The installation
instructions should mention the VFS lock patch and that it is necessary for
snapshotting journalled filesystems:
http://evms.sourceforge.net/install.html#kernel_support

> Well, I will apply it. Meanwhile, should I expect problems with the
> snapshots I have already created and copied onto backup media (and for
> which the journals were replayed at mount time) ?

You shouldn't see any problems with them. And actually, if you always create
the snapshots read-write and replay the journals, the VFS lock patch may not
even be necessary.

Kevin Corry