List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] Disks segmenting and rebooting
From:       Kevin Corry <kcorry () austin ! rr ! com>
Date:       2002-11-29 17:57:49

On Thursday 28 November 2002 02:57, Michel Bouissou wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> When partitioning a disk in Linux using fdisk, it is most of the times
> necessary to reboot the system for the changes in the partition table to be
> taken in account by the kernel.
>
> When I create or modify disk segments in evmsgui, should I reboot the
> system as well before trying to work further on these segments ?
>
> I've noticed that changes I made to disk segments using EVMS on /dev/hd<n>
> are *NOT* reflected by a "fdisk -l /dev/hd<n>" after I quit evmsgui.
>
> Is this of importance, or is EVMS able to compensate this for volumes it
> manages ?

There are very few circumstances when you will need to reboot in order to
discover newly created or modified volumes. EVMS makes all of the necessary
kernel updates on the fly.

There are a couple of oddball situations that might require a reboot. The DOS
segment naming scheme is dependent on the relative positions of the segments
on a disk. Thus, if you delete a segment in the middle of a disk, the
segments above that one will need to be renamed. For example, if you start
with:

hda5, hda6, hda7, hda8, hda9

and you decide to delete hda7, then hda8 must be renamed to hda7 and hda9
must be renamed to hda8. Sometimes this cannot be accomplished without
rebooting. However, if this is the case the Engine should display a warning
telling you to reboot.

Kevin Corry