List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] More than 16 partitions ?
From:       Kevin Corry <kcorry () austin ! rr ! com>
Date:       2002-11-29 17:53:23

On Friday 29 November 2002 06:46, Michel Bouissou wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've created more than 16 EVMS "segments" (AKA partitions) on 2 disks using
> the DOS segment manager.
>
> EVMS lives happily with this and I can use all of my partitions.
>
> But a "fdisk -l" on the corresponding disks shows me only 16 partitions on
> each disk, and I don't see the remaining ones.
> (And yes, I have rebooted after having changed the partition table with
> EVMS)
>
> Should I expect any problem from this ?

EVMS does not place any limitations on the number of segments that can be
created on a single disk. However, the Linux partitioning code (and probably
fdisk), do have limitations. An IDE disk can only have 63 partitions, and a
SCSI disk can only have 15 partitions.

If you are only using the /dev/evms/[hs]d??? devices, then you won't need to
worry about the Linux limitations. However, if you intend to create the
segments in EVMS and then go back to using the Linux partitioning code
(/dev/[hs]d??? ) in the future, you will need to abide by the above
limitations.

Kevin Corry