List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] Segments
From:       Oki DZ <okidz () pindad ! com>
Date:       2002-11-28 1:36:23

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 07:51:55AM -0600, Kevin Corry wrote:
> EVMS has no internal limit on the number of segments on a single disks. We
> have run tests that create hundreds of segments per disk. However, in
> practice I can't imagine many situations when you would even need a dozen.

I was thinking about having more space in expanding/shrinking volumes
(with drive-linking feature). As I understand it, shrunk volumes can't
give up the freed space to another volume; meaning, one segment for
one volume. So, I think it would be nice to have many segments on a
particular disk; you can expand/shrink the volumes piecemeally.

> With that said, the standard Linux partitioning code does have limitations on
> the number of partitions (segments) on a disk. An IDE disk can only have 63
> partitions, and a SCSI disk can only have 15. So if you ever intend to stop
> using EVMS, keep those limitations in mind when creating your disk segments.

Does it mean that there some differences in segmenting disks using EVMS
and fdisk from the beginning? (I mean the procedures.)

I didn't use EVMS' segment feature from the scratch; I just noticed that
once the disk had been partitioned using fdisk, EVMS would just using
the available segments; ie: you can't create more than one segment in a
free partition.

Oki