List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] DriveLinking Question
From:       Jake Colman <colman () ppllc ! com>
Date:       2002-10-28 17:02:24

    KC> For example: You started out with a single disk with, let's say, four
    KC> partitions, for /, /usr, /home, and swap. You realize you are running
    KC> out of space on /usr because you have tons of source code in
    KC> /usr/src. Since that partition is in the middle of the disk, you
    KC> can't expand it unless you wipe out /home. So you buy a new disk to
    KC> give you some extra space to use. You install EVMS, and "convert" the
    KC> /usr partition to an EVMS volume. Then, you "add" the drive-linking
    KC> feature to this new volume. All total, this will only require your
    KC> /usr filesystem to shrink by a handful of sectors to allow for the
    KC> new EVMS metadata at the end of that partition. Then, you can expand
    KC> the new drive-link object with space from the new disk, giving you
    KC> the much-needed extra space in your /usr filesystem. Thus, you have
    KC> saved yourself the hassle of a messy backup-restore method of moving
    KC> your /usr or /home data to the new disk.

Would the converted /usr partition be shrinkable?  If so, when I first
started posting here about my disk space problem, could I have simply
converted my existing paritions to EVMS and the shrunk them, thereby creating
free space to be allocated where I really needed it? Instead, I resized the
filesystems so that I could them resize the partitions (using parted) and
created the free space that way.  Was my approach more complicated than was
required?

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 209-2467
Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza Two                          E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
Jersey City, NJ 07311                  www.principiapartners.com