List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] ldev_mgr and unused modules / disks
From:       Kevin Corry <corryk () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2002-07-24 18:21:38

On Wednesday 24 July 2002 07:51, Frank Lenaerts wrote:
> I just installed the gtk and ncurses frontends, and got the following
> warning message.
>
> --- begin ---
> Jul 24 14:40:24  Engine: WARNING: Volume "/dev/evms/hda" was exported
> by the EVMS kernel but was not discovered by the EVMS Engine.  The
> kernel's in memory copy of the volume is scheduled to be deleted when
> changes are committed.  Deleting the kernel's in memory copy of the
> volume will not change any data on the disks.  If the volume truly
> exists, the kernel will discover it after the changes have been
> committed.
> ---  end  ---

You are getting this error message because you only have the local device
manager (ldev_mgr) plugin loaded in the kernel. Thus the kernel sees hda, but
does not find the partitions on hda because the dos_part module is not loaded.

When you run the engine, all of the user-space plugins are present, and it
finds the partitions on hda and exports them as volumes instead of hda
itself. It then detects the inconsistency, and tells you that it is going to
try to fix the inconsistency in the kernel.

Try adding dos_part to your /etc/modules, and you shouldn't see this error
any more. Also, if there are other EVMS plugins that you will want to use
(e.g. MD, LVM, BBR, etc), then those kernel modules need to be loaded as
well. If there are plugins that you know you will not use (e.g. GPT
partitions, AIX LVM), then those kernel modules do not need to be loaded.

I'm still looking into your other info about the SCSI disk problem. I will
send out another email when I have a better idea of the cause.

-Kevin