List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] evms_devnode_fixup kernel panic
From:       "Steve Dobbelstein" <steved () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2002-06-26 14:42:09

On 06/25/02 05:31 PM Jeroen Vriesman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using a system with RedHat 7.3, kernel 2.4.18, and the evms rpm, the
evms kernel patches etc.

> when I run evms_devnode_fixup with two 60G ieee1394 disks (maxtor)
attached, I get a kernel panic.

> Did anyone try evms with firewire disks?
>
> I use the normal sbp2 module from the 2.4.18 kernel, first they had md
raid1 partitions, but also with any other partition table I get a kernel
panic.

> Can I use my firewire disks with evms?
>
> Cheers,
> Jeroen.

evms_devnode_fixup calls the Engine's evms_update_evms_dev_tree() API.
evms_update_evms_dev_tree() calls the EVMS kernel to get a list of the
volumes that the EVMS kernel is exporting.  It then uses normal file APIs
(mknod(), unlink(), etc.) to do the manipulation of the /dev/evms tree.
I'm not sure if your kernel is panicking when the EVMS kernel gets a list
of the volumes or during the processing of the normal file APIs.

If you could do the following it would help me narrow down the problem.

1) Run evms_devnode_fixup with the -v option for verbose output.  That
might give me some hints as to which API is having the kernel panic.

2) Increase the logging level of the EVMS kernel by running evms_info_level
7.  (Default is 5.)  Then run evms_devnode_fixup -v.

3) Post the output from evms_devnode_fixup and the last several lines of
the output from dmesg.

Thanks,
Steve D.