List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] Progress indicators for the Engine
From:       Luciano Chavez <lnx1138 () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2002-06-07 16:06:37

Engine plug-in writers,

The evmsgui code in CVS now has support for the new progress engine
service. The header changes and engine API looked solid enough to add
the support so I did.

All three progress types are supported (INDETERMINATE, DISPLAY_COUNT and
DISPLAY_PERCENT). The evmsgui also supports nested progress callbacks.

I also updated the BBR engine plug-in to provide progress when it
performs I/O tests on replacements sectors during BBR object creation
(see validate_sectors() in bbr.c). It also provides an example of how a
plug-in could first try the progress service and if that were not
available (due to the UI not providing a callback) then providing some
status with the user_message service.

It would be good if say some FSIM plug-in writers could add support for
progress of an fsck or mkfs, for example, (hint hint) to test if this
works fine during commit time. It is really, really trivial to add this
support in a plug-in (HINT, HINT).

p.s. The evmsgui now executes a lot of the evms API calls on a separate
thread in order to keep the evmsgui looking responsive even when a
plug-in may be doing work and providing progress feedback.

--
regards,

Luciano Chavez

lnx1138@us.ibm.com