List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] Example please?
From:       Matt Zimmerman <mdz () debian ! org>
Date:       2002-05-21 1:51:59

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 05:29:54PM -0700, Kristian G. Kvilekval wrote:

> Thanks for the clarification.
>
> Now just to be painfully clear for the first case of /var and /tmp:
>
> 1.  I remove  /dev/sda2 and /dev/sda3 using fdisk.

Leave the partitions there; you are still using that space, just not
directly.

> 2.  Create two regions from the free space (varregion, and tmpregion)

2. Create an LVM container from the two partitions

3. Create two LVM regions from the free space in the container

> 3.  Create to EVMS volumes from the regions (varvolume, tmpvolume)
> 4.  Make filesystems directly on the EVMS volumes:  mkfs -t <...> /dev/evms/varvolume
> 5.  add the volumes into the /etc/fstab and reboot.

Correct.

> Now when I want to move some space from /var to /tmp I would????
>
> 1.   Shrink the fileysytem on /var using whatever tool is available.
> 2.   Shrink the volume varvolume using evms (adding space to freespace)
> 3.   Expand the the volume tmpvolume with evms
> 4.   Expand the filesystem on tmpvolume..

Correct.

A suggestion, though: Ideally, you should only allocate space to the
filesystems that you will use in the near future, and leave the rest free.
That way, you avoid having to subtract from one volume to add to another;
you can just use the space that you left free.  Since you can always expand
a volume, you don't need to over-allocate as much as when you are building a
filesystem directly on a partition, and you can use the entire disk more
efficiently.

--
 - mdz