List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] RAID reconfiguration in EVMS
From:       "Steve Pratt" <slpratt () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2002-05-07 15:33:56

Jakob =D8stergaard wrote:
>Dear EVMS developers,

>I noticed that you are moving the Software RAID functionality into EVM=
>gradually. You also seem to have been integrating filesystem functiona=
lity
>(resizing) lately.

Yes, the software raid functionality is in our 1.0 release.  FS support=
 is
coming soon.

>I suppose a long-term goal of EVMS would be to allow for on-line volum=
>management, filesystem re-sizing, and possibly RAID reconfiguration as=

>well (?)

Yes. It already does a great deal of online management.

>Some time ago I created the "raidreconf" tool to re-configure (re-size=
 and
>convert) Linux Software RAID arrays.  The tool seems to be fairly stab=
le,
but
>since a full RAID conversion can take many many hours and the tool
currently
>requires the array to be off-line, this potentially very useful tool d=
oes
have
>limited use today.

Cool.

>If I had the time, I would integrate it into the kernel to allow for
>hot-resizing/reconfiguration.  And ideally it would be integrated into=

>either LVM or EVMS as well.  It does seem (to me at least) like EVMS
>would be the code-base to merge it into, as EVMS is incorporating far
>more features than the LVM project seems to be headed for.

Yes, EVMS was designed to be expanded in this way.

>Unfortunately, I don't have the time. I'm writing to you people becaus=
e I
hope
>that some of you do  :)    The code is out there
>(http://unthought.net/raidreconf), it's GPL, and it is there for the
taking.
>If you were considering implementing something like this anyway, well,=
 now
you
>have working and stable sample code (for userspace though).

We are definitely interested in this functionality.  We do have some
limited reconfig support today such as adding additional mirrors, but
nothing to sophisticated.  The only problem I see is like you, we have
limited time.  Our list of new features and functions already takes us =
into
next year, but I will try to take a look at the code and see how much w=
ork
it would be to use some of it.  We are always re-prioritizing our work.=

>Furthermore, I have received the following from a company that is
interested in
>seeing the raidreconf functionality incorporated into the kernel:
>----------
>We are using raidtools in a commercial setting, and would like to see =
this
>functionality improved a bit, and would not mind committing some resou=
rces
>towards that goal.
>I can provide contact information on request.

If they are interested in helping, then we might be able to accelerate
this.  You can either send me the contact (offline if you like) or have=

them get in touch with me directly.

>So, the ball is in the air - what do you say ?

Thanks for the offer.  We truly hope to be able to use this.

Steve

=