List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] Re: [Evms-cluster] patching kernel on debian (kernel-patch-evms 1.0.0-2)
From:       Matt Zimmerman <mdz () debian ! org>
Date:       2002-04-23 13:37:01

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 08:06:01AM -0500, Kevin Corry wrote:

> On Monday 22 April 2002 23:08, Nicolas Bourbaki wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to install evms on a Debian stable/testing machine. I need some
> > help with patching the kernel.
> > My kernel version is 2.4.17
> >
> > I've got:
> > /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.17
> >
> > The directory:
> > /usr/src/kernel-patches/all/apply/
> >
> > contains:
> > evms  evms-VFS-lock  evmscommon
> >

> > Q1): in which order these scripts should be run?
> > Q2): how to specify the kernel I want to patch (2.4.17)?
> In general, you want to apply the evmscommon patch first, then the evms
> patch, and then the evms-VFS-lock patch.

In the latest package (not yet uploaded), the patches actually contain
dependency information, so that if you ask for 'evms', you get evmscommon
and then evms.

> [...]
> Of course, keep in mind that I run Slackware, so I'm kind of guessing that
> this is what you should do on a Debian system. Maybe Matt will chime in with
> better instructions. :)

I would have, but I didn't see the original message.  Was it not sent to
this list?

The easy answer is to read /usr/share/doc/kernel-patch-evms/README.Debian,
which contains roughly:

Building an EVMS-enabled kernel
-------------------------------

1. Obtain kernel sources, either from a kernel-source-x.y.z package or
   elsewhere

2. Unpack kernel sources (tar xjf /usr/src/kernel-source-x.y.z.tar.bz2)

3. cd kernel-source-x.y.z

4. PATCH_THE_KERNEL=YES make-kpkg --added-patches evmscommon,evms kernel_image

Remember to install the 'kernel-package' package first, if you don't already
have it.  This fact is mentioned in the latest version of the README.

This document assumes that you already know how to configure the kernel,
copy in an existing configuration to .config, etc.  The most recent version
(not yet in the Debian archive) has some additional details in that area,
and mentions the VFS-lock patch (which you would add to the end of the
--added-patches argument).  If you need to do manual configuration, specify
the --config flag to make-kpkg, e.g. "--config menuconfig".

--
 - mdz