List:       evms-devel
Subject:    [Evms-devel] Re: [Evms-cluster] Newbie questions
From:       Kevin Corry <corryk () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2002-04-22 12:39:52

Hi Colin,

We are currently working with several Linux distributions to have EVMS
included in future releases. For the time being, there aren't any
distributions that will let you create EVMS volumes directly from their
installer.

However, there are round-about ways to install a new machine with EVMS
support, if you are willing to be a little creative with the installation
process. One thing that I have done recently with a new machine is to start
with a single small partition (say 1GB), and install a very basic system,
just enough to get the system up and running and have compiler support (and
probably networking if you need it). Then you can rebuild a kernel on this
system with EVMS support, and build the EVMS engine tools. Then use one of
the EVMS interfaces (text-mode if you haven't installed X yet) to create all
of your volumes on the remaining space on the drive. With your setup, you
will probably want to create one more partition using the rest of the drive.
Then use the LVM plugin to create a container from that one partition, and
then you can create regions/volumes out of that container. These volumes can
be small at first, and you can expand them as appropriate in the future.
Don't forget to format them with the appropriate filesystem and add entries
to your /etc/fstab file. Once this is done, you can continue installing the
rest of the software for your system. This is a bit tricky, but I've gotten
it to work on a couple machines here. It just takes a bit more patience. :)

Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

-Kevin