List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] How full is my snapshot partition?
From:       Kevin Corry <corryk () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2002-04-05 14:32:14

Hi Dave,

When you create an EVMS snapshot, you will get a new entry in
/proc/evms/snapshot/, with the same name as the snapshot volume. That file
will contain various info about the snapshot, including the name of the
original volume, and percentage full for the snapshot. You could easily write
a script to grep that proc entry and alert you when the snapshot reaches a
certain capacity.

If the snapshot does fill up, it will be disabled. Any further I/O requests
to the snapshot will return errors. I/O requests to the original will not be
affected.

One other note: If you have a journaled filesystem on the original, make sure
you apply the appropriate VFS locking patch to your kernel source. These
patches are available in the "kernel" directory in the EVMS 1.0.0 package,
and should be applied after the EVMS code has been patched into the kernel.
Or you can just make your snapshots writeable, which I know makes ReiserFS
and XFS a whole lot happier.

-Kevin