List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] Can't use gui tool t ocreate a striped LV
From:       Xiaoxiang Liu <xiliu () ncsa ! uiuc ! edu>
Date:       2002-03-01 17:53:06

At 07:14 AM 3/1/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>On Thursday 28 February 2002 17:32, Xiaoxiang Liu wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I tried to build evms0.9.1 int linux2.4.17 and it works.
> > But I met some problems when I used GUI.
> > 1. Can't create striped LV by using GUI.
> >     I don't know if it's unfinished functionality of GUI tool
> >     or I just didn't find the correct way to do it.
> > 2.  No matter I use GUI or command line to create a new LV,
> >      it doens't show up in /dev/evms/lvm. Even I run evms_rediscover
> >      and evms_devnode_fixup again. It sounds like the device nodes
> >      in /dev/evms tree don't get updated. I have to reboot the machine
> >      to find all those device nodes.
> >
> > Any suggestions will be appreciated!
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > -- Xiaoxiang
>
>What does your current volume setup look like? What steps did you take in the
>GUI to create the striped LV, and what errors did you get?
>
>To create a striped LVM LV, you will need a container with at least two
>objects (preferrably objects on different disks). Then from the GUI, do
>"Actions->Create->Region", select the "LVM Region Manager", then select the
>freespace region for the desired container, then select a name, number of
>extents, number of stripes, and stripe size for the new region. After that is
>created, go to the "Available Objects" panel, right click on the region that
>was just created, and select "Create Compatibility Volume". That region
>should now appear in the "Volumes" panel. Then do "Actions->Commit Changes".
>After that, there should be a dev-node corresponding to the name of the
>volume. If it is not there, please send me your engine log
>(/var/log/evmsEngine.log), and the output from the "dmesg" command
>immediately after performing the commit-changes.
>
>-Kevin

I am sorry to send previous email because of my carelessness.
I just found I still use the old GUI tool coming with 0.9.0. For my
previous evms engine install, I used rpm so all executable commands
shows up in /use/sbin. When I install 0.9.1, I use source code and
make install directly. I thought it would be installed in the same
directory and overwrite the old one but the new command set was installed
in /usr/local/sbin.

After I cleaned up the old command set, GUI works and device nodes
can show up after I commit the change.

Thanks,

-- Xiaoxiang