List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] Clarification RAID0/1/5 Modules
From:       "Steve Pratt" <slpratt () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2002-01-22 16:40:35

Jim McDonald wrote:
>Hi,
>In the EVMS-HOWTO.txt shipped with 0.90 it talks about turning the
>current md RAID code into EVMS modules.  I see there there are already
>md_raid0 and md_raid1 available - is this the code that will be shipping
>with EVMS as part of the official RAID modules or are they interim or
>compatibility modules?

The MD code in 0.9.0 is destined to be the final EVMS support of MD. It
still needs some clean-up, but other than that, this should be it.

Not entirely sure what you mean by official.  These are our ports of MD,
but this does not mean that they are blessed by the current maintainers of
the traditional MD code.  However, unlike our LVM support (which was a
complete re-write) our MD plug-ins are simply ports of the existing kernel
code into the EVMS framework.  The majority of the changes have centered
around removing dependencies on kdev_t structure for finding and
communicating with members of the arrays.

Steve

EVMS Development - http://www.sf.net/projects/evms
Linux Technology Center - IBM Corporation
(512) 838-9763  EMAIL: SLPratt@US.IBM.COM