List:       evms-devel
Subject:    gcc 2.96 (Re: [Evms-devel] Migrating from LVM)
From:       Matt Zimmerman <mdz () debian ! org>
Date:       2002-01-21 20:17:59

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 03:47:17AM -0500, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 03:36:45AM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 09:09:32AM +0100, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> >
> > > Oh, and yes they are compiled with RH's gcc 2.96, but maybe not with the
> > > most uptodate version.
> >
> > Red Hat's gcc 2.96 is a known buggy compiler, and should not be used for
> > compiling kernels and other such sensitive things.  I believe whatever
> > version of Red Hat that was shipped with a "kgcc" package containing an
> > older, stable gcc release.  You may want to try that compiler.
>
> Please stop spreading such bollocks. Only the VERY VERY first 2.96 package
> released was not quite perfect, all later ones are very good. To the point
> that they miscompile kernel less than Debian's gcc cvs snapshots (both the
> 2.95 cvs snapshots/releases and 3.x ones).

This was not an attack on Red Hat.  Many people have had real problems using
this compiler.  Enough folks are (must be) using the not-quite-perfect
version of the package (I believe from version 7.0) that several software
projects include notes in their installation instructions to warn against
using this compiler.  In the quoted text above, the the original poster even
stated that they might not be running the latest version of the package!

The GCC team also recommends against using it in production:

http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html

I am not interested in a distribution battle, so I am not going to respond
to the comments about Debian.

--
 - mdz