List:       evms-devel
Subject:    [Evms-devel] EVMS LVM module update
From:       "Kevin M Corry" <corryk () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2001-07-27 21:01:37

Greetings,

I have just made some updates to the EVMS runtime and engine code (in CVS)
to bring the LVM modules up-to-date with the new LVM 0.9.1beta8 metadata
format. For those using LVM volumes under EVMS, in order to use this latest
code, you need to upgrade your LVM volumes according to the instructions in
the LVM beta8 release (see www.sistina.com/lvm). Also, for this new code to
compile correctly, your kernel source must be patched with the LVM beta8
code (as well as with the EVMS runtime code). This is now necessary because
of the data structure changes in lvm.h. Previously, the stock kernel's copy
of lvm.h contained data structures that were consistent with those used
through the beta7 release, and thus it was not required to have your kernel
patched with the latest LVM code.

The LVM region manager in the EVMS engine has been updated, and will now
create LVM PVs and VGs according to the new format.

These changes will be reflected in the next EVMS release (0.1.5). The LVM
module in the EVMS 0.1.4 release from earlier this week is still based on
the beta7 metadata format. If you are using that (or earlier versions), you
do not have to worry yet. However, I do recommend upgrading at your
convenience.

Please let me know if there are any questions or concerns.

Thanks,
-Kevin

corryk@us.ibm.com
http://www.sf.net/projects/evms/