List:       evms-devel
Subject:    [Evms-devel] Snapshot testing, performance
From:       "Kevin M Corry" <corryk () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2001-05-23 18:24:00

Greetings,

I had a few questions concerning snapshotting in EVMS that I thought I'd
put out on the list.

As of this morning's new release (0.1.1), we believe we have fixed some I/O
errors that were causing hangs when doing heavy I/O on snapshotted volumes.
I have been running various tests, and have not had seen any more hangs on
my test system. I was wondering if anyone else has had a chance to play
with snapshotting in EVMS, and what kind of experiences you've had with it
so far?

Also, I am trying to get some feel for what kind of performance hit is
created by using snapshots. I have been running a variety of tests to
ensure functionality (large copies, decompressions, untarring, etc), but
nothing yet that I would consider a valid performance benchmark. Does
anyone have any recommendations for good tests to use to measure the
differences between I/O on a regular volume and on a snapshotted volume?
Are there any widely accepted benchmark suites for testing I/O performance
on Linux?

If anyone is interested in testing out this new functionality, please let
me know and I will be happy to explain how to get these features running.

-Kevin Corry