List:       evms-announce
Subject:    [Evms-announce] booting from a mirror with initrd
From:       Jeroen Vriesman <jeroen.vriesman () dynaserv ! nl>
Date:       2002-08-26 17:59:21

Hi there evms-folks,

I got a new server installed with Mandrake 9.0, booting with grub from /dev/md0.

I intsalled evms, and try to boot with the evms kernel with an initrd from what \
orininally was /dev/md0.

I boot with Grub, and have the following entry in menu.lst:

title 2.4.19-evms
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19-evms root=/dev/evms/md/md0 devfs=mount
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd-2.4.19-evms.img

Which is the same as the working boot entry booting from md0, exept for the \
¨root=/dev/evms/md/md0¨ (<- is that correct?)

Now I getting a good-old kernel panic when it tries to mount the root, it does detect \
the raid devices during kernel boot (I compiled all the evms stuff into the kernel, \
no modules).

In my original initrd, linuxrc has:

echo Creating root device
mkrootdev /dev/root
raidautorun /safedev/md0
echo 0x0100 > /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev
umount /proc
echo Mounting root filesystem
mount --ro -t ext3 /dev/root /sysroot
pivot_root /sysroot /sysroot/initrd
echo Remounting devfs at correct place if necessary
handledevfs

I commented out the ¨raidautorun /safedev/md0¨, and left out the raid1 module, but I \
don't know what to do with the:

echo 0x0100 > /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev

When I comment it out, it's unable to mount the root.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Jeroen.