List:       evlog-developers
Subject:    Re: [evlog-dev] dprobes and event logging.
From:       davole () us ! ibm ! com
Date:       2001-12-12 21:41:59

I was using 'log mrf' and i happened to be trying to resolve some
incorrect addresses.  I could easily get around a NULL pointer dereference
by checking my address, and then changing my minor number to something
appropriate and then going ahead and logging.  I thought with all the
mention of "fault" in dprobes.lang(5) describing 'log mrf' that doing
"logonfault = no" in the header might suppress logging in the case of an
error.  I am not sure how much one would really want to suppress these
messages.  I am not quite clear what type of fault logonfault applies to.

I'd say rather than make it a command line switch, allow users to modify
the behaviour in the .rpn file with something similar to the logonfault
clause.  This could also allow for easier migration to something
crazy like rpn fault handlers if someone feels it's needed.  A fault
handler could involve switching up minors and going ahead or suppressing.
Although a "suppresslogfault = yes" would seem to suffice for now.