List:       etux
Subject:    RE: PPC440GP Cross tool chain, Compiled Linux Kernel
From:       Asa Angeles <aangeles9 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-04-09 19:32:31

Pease allow me to first thank everyone for all the quick responses. I'm glad
so many experts are ready and willing to help.

// Christopher Viamonte wrote:
//
// I was using a 2.4.20 kernel source, gcc 2.95.3 from the set for PPC in
// Karim's book.

Thank you, I will try this combination right away. Out of curiousity, did
you have to apply any patches to the kernel source, or to any GNU tool sources
for that matter?

--------------------------------------

// Frank Smith wrote:
//
// I know TimeSys has a free download of a Linux Evaluation Kit for
// the 440GP.  Go to www.timesys.com and click on the Free Downloads
// link.  You should find a TimeSys 2.4.18 Linux kernel in that
// package.
//
// This kit doesn't contain GNU development tools.  You can purchase
// the 440GX SDK from TimeSys.
//
// If you're looking for free tools, check out the DENX tools.

Thanks. I've been toying around with the MonteVista Linux Preview Kit. I've
downloaded but not yet used the DENX tools (ELDK, right?).

--------------------------------------

// Wolfgang Denk wrote:
//
// I'm not sure what your primary  target  is:  building  the  toolchain
// itself,  or  just get a working toolchain to get some real work done.

My goals are:

  1) Build the tool chain itself from scratch.
  2) Use that tool chain I just built to compile a vendor-independent
     Linux kernel. By vendor-independent, I mean not have any corporate
     names stamped on it, such as MonteVista or TimeSys. Why? For research
     purposes, meaning learning how to create this environment without having
     to download pre-built tools or kernels, even those packaged in
     preview kits.

     Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Timesys or MonteVista. In fact
     I learned a lot from using the MVista Linux Preview Kit for the Ebony.

  3) Take that compiled kernel and boot it via NFS. At this point, I plan on
     just using the ROM Monitor that came with the ebony as the boot loader,
     although, for the same reasons given in (2) above, I may look into using
     U-Boot. I appreciate all the work done on the U-boot project.

  4) Learn as much as I can! :)

// Frank Smith wrote:
//
// I don't think the 440GP has Gig.... You're probably thinking of the
// 440GX. Gig on the GX is definitely a challenge.

You're right. The GX came out to support Gig-E, which the GP did not support.

Thanks again for all your help everybody. I'll post major breakthroughs and (likely)
roadblocks I encounter.

- Asa