List:       etux
Subject:    Re: boot/root fs setup
From:       Selwyn Tang <selwyn () hectrix ! com>
Date:       2003-09-16 1:43:56

Hi Steve,

On 09/15/2003 11:03 PM, Steven P Valliere wrote:
> I'm hoping someone out there can point me
> to info to help me figure out how to
> replicate (for want of a better term) my
> DOC root file system onto a RAM drive,
> tell the OS to work from there, then mount
> the DOC fs somewhere on the RAM drive, to
> allow updates.

I am working on a similar system to yours too: Geode, 64MB Ram, 16MB DOC2000.
Although I didn't try using ramdisk to store the root fs, I think you have to
create a ramdisk image of the root fs first and put it beside your kernel on
your DOC's fs. Then configure GRUB to load the ramdisk image as initrd. Once the
root fs is loaded, and provided that your kernel is configured correctly to
support DOC, you should be able to mount it to a mount point in the ramdisk. You
may refer to the bootdisk howto
<http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/index.html> on creating a root fs on a
ramdisk and copying it to an image.

As my 16MB DOC is gradually running out of space as my project grows, I may have
to actually try this out in the coming weeks.

Hope this helps :-)

Selwyn