List:       etux
Subject:    ARM Serial Port initialization
From:       "Dave Hylands" <dhylands () broadcom ! com>
Date:       2003-09-09 16:43:02

Hi guys,

So I have my linux kernel getting to start_kernel and everything seems
to be fine (MMU is enabled and working).

Our chip (ARM926) has 3 memory mapped UARTs which have a register map
which is pretty much identical to the 16550. The FIFO length is a little
different, but otherwise everything looks the same.

The only mechanism I've discovered for statically defining serial ports
is by using SERIAL_PORT_DFNS which appears to only be useful for port
based I/O.

So I'm assuming that I need to call register_serial from my arch
initialization routine? Is that the appropriate place to put this?

Also, I have a routine which can perform polled I/O to write to the
serial port. Is there any built-in mechanism to allow early printk's
(i.e. before IRQ's get enabled) to go to the serial port?

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada