List:       etux
Subject:    make install error for glibc
From:       Selwyn Tang <selwyn () hectrix ! com>
Date:       2003-08-11 4:14:27

Dear all,

I was cross compiling an i386-linux toolchain from a i686 host. I
followed Karim's instructions to successfully prepare the kernel
headers, compile binutils and boot-strap gcc (ignored the teTex setup
utility error "could not find default config file for dvips"). Then I
also compiled glibc successfully (using gcc-2.95.3 on my host). But when
I tried to make install, the following error occurred:

LANGUAGE=C LC_ALL=C makeinfo libc.texinfo
./stdio.texi:3269: First argument to cross-reference may not be empty.
./stdio.texi:3270: First argument to cross-reference may not be empty.
makeinfo: Removing output file
`/home/selwyn/doc-dev/build-tools/glibc-2.2.3/manual/libc.info' due to
errors; use --force to preserve.
make[2]: *** [libc.info] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/selwyn/doc-dev/build-tools/glibc-2.2.3/manual'make[1]: ***
[manual/subdir_install] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/selwyn/doc-dev/build-tools/glibc-2.2.3'
make: *** [install] Error 2

Is all the manual stuffs installed in the last step of the make install?
If so, can I safely ignore the above error? Also, I wonder if this error
has anything to do with the teTex error when compiling the bootstrap gcc.

Thanks in advance!

Selwyn