List:       etux
Subject:    Re: problem compiling glibc-2.2.1
From:       "David E. New" <den () densbe ! com>
Date:       2003-06-14 21:14:31

Karim Yaghmour wrote:
> "David E. New" wrote:
>
>>Good idea, except to be really pendantic, what you really want is the version of
>>the various host tools involved, since a RedHat 8.0 (e.g.) could be updated to
>>something other than the original CD-based distro, with more recent host linker,
>>compiler, libraries, etc.
>

> Aiee... This would really be difficult. I think that sticking with the
> "it works on vanilla XYZ" is the best that can be done. The rest is,
> well, up to the user.
>
> Karim

Sorry 8-)

I come from a configuration management, backup/archive background.  Worked for
seven years for Irwin Magnetics, at one time the world's leading supplier of
minicartridge tape backup drives, and was responsible for the group that
supported the software development crew, with version/configuration management
tools, release tracking, etc, etc.  So you could say I was double-indoctrinated
with the 'control freak' attitude 8-).

These days, it drives me nuts to work in an environment where I don't know the
version and provenance of every tool I'm working with, and be able to re-build
any version of any release of whatever it is I'm working on.

This is one reason why I enjoy your book so much, as it gives me the road map
towards that kind of control over my embedded Linux development environment.  If
everything is built from source code and scripts that I can check into a version
control system, and re-create any stage or set of patched tools at will, so much
the better.  It then lets me concentrate on the task at hand, instead of
worrying about being to re-produce whatever I just did, either for myself at
sometime in the future, or for the customer when patches, fixes, or feature
enhancements are required.

In some cases where I didn't have control over the OS version, etc, I've taken a
complete mirror of the machine on tape, so I can reload it at that point in the
future.  Then the only remaining problem is hardware going obsolete or being
removed from service.  I've had to personally squirrel away old Sparc stations
at one place I worked, so that I could be certain of being able to re-build
stuff that was shipped to an OEM customer.

Cheers,

-- DaveN

Dave New, densbe Associates  |  den@densbe.com   |  wb4sbe@amsat.org  | PGP 2.6
Opinions expressed are mine. | 08 12 9F AF 5B 3E B2 9B  6F DC 66 5A 41 0B AB 29
Incoming: 42.28169N 83.78909W