List:       ethereal-users
Subject:    Re: [ethereal-users] compilation prob.
From:       Guy Harris <gharris () flashcom ! net>
Date:       2000-09-19 14:39:05

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 07:14:33AM -0700, Guy Harris wrote:
> Yup, that'll potentially cause problems compiling any program that
>
> 	1) includes <net/if.h>
>
> and
>
> 	2) includes header files from "/usr/local/include" and thus is
> 	   compiled with "-I/usr/local/include".

In particular, it might cause problems with any program that uses
libpcap, which might explain why you had to move "pcap.h" and "bpf.h" to
the local directory and change the include statements:

> The only modificatiosn I have made is that I moved pcap.h and bpf.h
> locally into the ethereal-0.8.12 directory (and rewrote the include
> statements).

given that libpcap probably installed <net/bpf.h> in
"/usr/local/include/net/bpf.h" - but "/usr/local/include/net" isn't
publicly readable or searchable.

I suspect that whoever installed libpcap on your system did so with a
umask of 027, which meant that public read, write, and execute/search
access is denied on files or directories they create unless the mode is
explicitly changed; the script that installs stuff for libpcap doesn't,
if it has to create a directory in which to install something, change
the mode of the directory, as far as I can tell.

The current CVS tree for libpcap has a Makefile.in that will make
necessary directories explicitly, but it won't set the mode explicitly;
I'll look at making it do so, in the hopes of preventing errors like
that.