List:       ethereal-users
Subject:    Re: [ethereal-users] Bus Error
From:       Guy Harris <guy () netapp ! com>
Date:       2000-08-24 23:24:06

> You installed from a pre-compiled package, right? Christine Tran had a similar
> problem, in:
>
> http://ethereal.zing.org/lists/ethereal-dev/200006/msg00151.html
>
> I believe the fix was to compile from source.  Christine, was that the fix?

Note that one side-effect of compiling from source may be that you do so
by downloading the latest version of Ethereal, which may have bug fixes
in it that aren't in the appallingly-old 0.8.4 binary that you get from
sunfreeware.org.

If we keep seeing problems, perhaps we should remove the link to
sunfreeware.org from the binary packages section on the Ethereal site -
people might be better served by getting GCC and building Ethereal from
source than by downloading an installing the binary, *even when taking
the pain of installing GCC if necessary, running configure, and running
make*, if 0.8.4 has a bug, on SPARC/Solaris, a bug that frequently
causes crashes, and that bug is fixed in the current version.