List:       ethereal-users
Subject:    [ethereal-users] Re: Ethereal on AIX 4.3.3
From:       Ciaran.Deignan () bull ! net
Date:       2000-07-31 8:10:03

On Sat, 29 Jul 2000, Craig Rodrigues wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 29, 2000 at 02:10:18PM -0400, afarazde@us.ibm.com wrote:
> > Craig/Ciaran - I was wondering if you have ported Ethereal to AIX 4.3.3? I
> > tried it and have some problems. When I press "start capturing" and then
> > choose "en0" as the adapter, I then get the error message: The capture
> > session could not be initiated (recv_ack: bind error 0xd). Please make sure
> > you have sufficient permissions and that you the proper interface
> > specified.
>
> Sir,
>
> I have changed jobs and currently do not have access to an AIX 4.3.3
> machine.
> Another person from IBM asked me the same question a few days
> ago, so I will forward his response.  I suspect that there
> is a bug in the bos.rte.tty fileset.
>

> On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 04:02:59PM -0500, dhiggins@au1.ibm.com wrote:
> > I am running as root and strload -q -d dlpi shows dlpi: yes. I have looked
> > through the archives on ethereal.zing.org and couldn't see any similar
> > problems. The only difference that I can see is that most entries are on
> > AIX 4.3.2, and I am on 4.3.3. This shouldn't make any difference, but in
> > practice I know that sometimes it can. I don't have a 4.3.2 system to test
> > on right now.
> >
> > Do you know what might be causing this, and how to fix it?
>
> I see you work for IBM, so I'll try to be nice....but AIX is one
> major source of headaches. :)
> It looks like you are doing everything correctly, so I wonder if
> there is a bug in the DLPI driver in AIX 4.3.3.
>
> If you do:
> lslpp -l bos.rte.tty
>
> what is the version of that fileset?

I installed the filesets from www-frec.bull.com onto an AIX-4.3.3 system
that I use, and ehtereal worked fine.

This system is installed in AIX-4.3.3.10, with the maintenance level
4330-04 (IY11202) applied. The dlpi drivers do indeed seem to be delivered
with bos.rte.tty, and on my system I have the level 4.3.3.14.

Thanks craig, as always you seem to have gotten it right in 1. Good luck
in your new job. Are you still participating in Ethereal stuff, or are you
trying to let it go?

Ciaran

Ciaran Deignan                                Tel: (France) 04 76 29 79 92
BULL XS-BU (http://www-frec.bull.com)                 HA and Consolidation

Mail to: Ciaran.Deignan@bull.net                        Bullcom: 229 79 92
PGP: B1 78 FB 88 FD 86 58 A8  89 7B 22 8C D0 E8 71 FC       Fax: 229 75 18