List:       ethereal-users
Subject:    Antwort:Re: Antwort:Re: [ethereal-users] Token-Ring
From:       Michael.Nau () avestasheffield ! com
Date:       2000-07-26 7:49:55

So when you are ready for TokenRing I can test it for you if you want it.
Pls give me a note when time has come.
RGS
Michael Nau

____________________Antwort-Abtrennung____________________
Betreff:    Re: Antwort:Re: [ethereal-users] Token-Ring
Verfasser:  "Guy Harris" <gharris@flashcom.net>
Datum:      26.07.00 09:22

On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 08:16:13AM +0100, Michael.Nau@avestasheffield.com wrote:
> Then I can kick it of, is it planed to support TokenRing?

Well, I just checked into the tcpdump.org main tree patches to add a
Token Ring dissector (built by merging the best of the FreeBSD and
NetBSD ones; the result appeared to be better than the dissector in
various patches I've seen) to tcpdump, and to add some missing bits of
support in libpcap (from various Token Ring patches I've gathered).

However, tcpdump.org's tree is just for UNIX; the Windows port of
libpcap (and of tcpdump) is produced by folks at the Politecnico di
Torino - I don't know what plans they have for Token Ring support, but
their current version includes code to handle FDDI, although they have
no FDDI machines on which to try it; putting in code to handle Token
Ring might be reasonable.

Fulvio?

Once WinPcap (the Windows libpcap port) supports Token Ring (with a DLT_
type of DLT_IEEE802, which appears to be the *de facto* standard DLT_
type for Token Ring), Ethereal should support it - it already includes
Token Ring dissectors, and treats DLT_IEEE802 captures as Token Ring
captures.