List:       ethereal-users
Subject:    RE: [Ethereal-users] Linux installation - Segmentation fault
From:       Breen Mullins <bmullins () asante ! com>
Date:       2006-01-25 23:36:03

On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 15:27 -0800, Stephen Leuthold wrote:

> >>The README file in the source distribution has instructions for
> generating >>a backtrace that will help the developers troubleshoot.
>
> >>Breen
>
> Hi Breen,
>
> Thank you. Although I get the Segmentation Fault there is no core file
> generated.
>
> Does anyone know why?

Your shell options are probably preventing it.

Open a terminal and issue the command

ulimit -c unlimited

and then run ethereal from that terminal. That should
get you the core file.

(man bash and search on ulimit for more information.)

Guy and others - I have the impression that most Linux
distros are shipping these days with core files disallowed
by default. Would this be good to add to the README?

Breen
--
Breen Mullins                      408-435-8401x123
SQA Engineer                       0xde05499b