List:       ethereal-users
Subject:    Re: [Ethereal-users] Re: Large binary after compilation
From:       ron flory <ron.flory () adtran ! com>
Date:       2005-10-25 12:52:56

Guy Harris wrote:
> ron flory wrote:
>
>>  While generally true for workstations, embedded and other flash-memory
>> based systems often don't have that much space to begin with.
>

> They also might not be the right machine on which to run Ethereal or
> even Tethereal; tcpdump might be better, but if you have some small
> embedded system, the ideal might be a *really* small program that only
> captures traffic and sends it somewhere else for analysis.

  I agree completely, such systems are better suited to remote capture.

  On the other hand mid-sized systems (several Linux PDA's for example)
often have just enough flash/ram to support a GUI and a few major apps.
Burning ~20MB for unnecessary symbols is precious storage that could be
put to better use for capture files, etc.

  OK, I think we've beat this poor thing to death now...

ron