List:       ethereal-users
Subject:    Re: [Ethereal-users] Re: EtherPeek equivalents in Ethereal (name
From:       Guy Harris <gharris () sonic ! net>
Date:       2004-10-25 18:23:02

Phillip Jordan wrote:

> I used the "manuf" file - it was in the Ethereal install directory
> (C:\Program Files\Ethereal).  I couldn't find the "ethers" file you
> mention.

That's because you haven't created it. :-)

Ethereal uses it if it exists.  It silently ignores its absence if it
doesn't.

> I checked the install directory, and I also checked my
> Application Data directory - there was no subdirectory for Ethereal
> (C:\Documents and Settings\myusername\Application Data).

You'd have to create it (it's created by Ethereal if you, for example,
save your preferences, so that it needs to exist as a place to save them).

> But I was able to do what I needed with
> the "manuf" file.  (The manuf file contains this line - "This file is in
> the same format as ethers(4)"...)

That works - but it exists because we ship one, containing various
manufacturer OIDs and well-known MAC addresses and address ranges;
ethers is supposed to contain local addresses, so we can't supply one as
part of the release, as the contents would differ from site to site.

This means that installing a new version of Ethereal will overwrite the
supplied global (install directory) manuf file, so you probably
shouldn't put anything there that you want to survive the installation
of a new version.