List:       ethereal-users
Subject:    RE: [Ethereal-users] Etherreal wireless capture with 32bit WAG511
From:       Biot Olivier <Olivier.Biot () siemens ! com>
Date:       2004-03-26 16:47:56

|-----Original Message-----
|From: TIMO.WU [at] delta.com.tw
|
| I have installed Ethereal 0.10 version and winPcap.
| I chose the capture interace with wireless adapter and
| I tried to capture wireless packets through 32bit WAG 511
| (Atheros Chip Embedded)
| But no packet was captured when priomiscuous mode is on.

I have seen this with my USB 802.11b Wireless LAN modules too. I have to
switch OFF the "Promiscuous mode" for those interfaces in order to see
packets being captured on those interfaces. This is most likely a bug in the
device or packet driver in Wndows.

| So i trun on priomiscuous mode. Then I can capture the TCP
| packet, but still can not see 802.11 packets.
| Where did i do wrong with settings?

On Windows you won't ever see any 802.11 packets; instead you'll just see
plain Ethernet as this is how the Windows packet drivers "release" the
packets to applications. So you'll only see the network traffic *as if it
were sent over a LAN connection*.

If you want to see the 802.11 packets (meaning the protocol headers etc),
then the simplest way of doing so is by using a Linux box and a 802.11 card
for which there is a device driver that allows the "radio headers" to be
captured. The driver must be run in a special mode, often called "monitor
mode", in order to do so. Or you can envisage writing a dedicated devide
driver for the 802.11 equipment, but this will be more complicated to do.

See also the Ethereal FAQ: http://www.ethereal.com/faq.html

Regards,

Olivier