List:       ethereal-users
Subject:    =?8859_1?B?xG1uZTog?=RE: [Ethereal-users] (no subject)
From:       Martin Regner <martin.regner () chello ! se>
Date:       2002-07-30 19:22:42

Maritza Muguira wrote:
> I understand that it doesn't recognize it as iSCSI when I first read in the
> capture file because we are using a different port number.  However, I
> thought I could force it to "Decode As" whatever protocol I wanted.  But,
> iSCSI does not appear in my "Decode As" list.

If the portnumber in Preferences/Protocols/iSCSI/Target port is set to some other \
value than 0 it is just that port number that is decoded as iSCSI it seems. I guess \
that this has been added to avoid getting "false" iSCSI decodes for some TCP messages \
that aren't really iSCSI. The default value is "Target port: 3260".

At least that is how I think it is working based on some experiments with the capture \
file in: http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-dev/200110/msg00227.html
(By default the messages in that file are not decoded as iSCSI, if you don't change \
the "Target port" to 0 or 5003).

I also think that it would be good to be able use "Decode As" for the iSCSI protocol \
(either to enable decoding for packets that Ethereal doesn't think is iSCSI when \
Target port has another port value, and to disable iSCSI decoding for certain port \
numbers if you have set "Target port: 0").  However I don't know how difficult it \
would be to solve this since I'm just an Ethereal user. I have not started to look at \
the source code yet.