List:       ethereal-users
Subject:    Re: SV: [Ethereal-users] "parse error"
From:       Guy Harris <gharris () sonic ! net>
Date:       2002-07-30 6:40:50

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 11:18:53AM +0200, Martin Regner wrote:
> You are using WinPcap 2.3 so I assume it is not the problem I've had earlier.
> http://www.ethereal.com/faq.html#q5.3

Did you mean

	http://www.ethereal.com/faq.html#q5.4

"Q 5.4: I'm entering valid capture filters, but I still get "parse
error" errors.

A: There is a bug in some versions of libpcap/WinPcap that cause it to
report parse errors even for valid expressions if a previous filter
expression was invalid and got a parse error.

Try exiting and restarting Ethereal; if you are using a version of
libpcap/WinPcap with this bug, this will "erase" its memory of the
previous parse error.  If the capture filter that got the "parse error"
now works, the earlier error with that filter was probably due to this
bug.  The bug was fixed in libpcap 0.6; 0.4[.x] and 0.5[.x] versions of
libpcap have this bug, but 0.6[.x] and later versions don't.

Versions of WinPcap prior to 2.3 are based on pre-0.6 versions of
libpcap, and have this bug; WinPcap 2.3 is based on libpcap 0.6.2, and
doesn't have this bug."