List:       ethereal-users
Subject:    [Ethereal-users] Slow performance with resolving network names - Suggestions/Question
From:       "Zuge, Peter" <pzuge () uwsp ! edu>
Date:       2002-07-29 17:50:21

Hello,

I have just started using Ethereal on Windows 2000.  As you probably =
know, because I am using Windows, I have a problem with very slow =
resolving of "network names".  Sometimes it can take 15 minutes to =
resolve names with just a few minutes of captured data.  As a result, I =
unchecked "resolve network names" and now enjoy great performance.  =
However, dealing with just IP and MAC addresses is sometimes a pain.

Does anyone know if some of the following features could be added (to =
offset windows' poor resolving performance):

1) Right click on an entry in the captured data, "Resolve this name" ?
2) A button or menu option to "Resolve all names in the display window" =
? (after filtering)
3) An address list that can be saved to a file (like Microsoft's =
NetMon), to be used on captures if desired?

PS:  I have read the mailing lists and know why Windows has poor =
performance with NETBIOS name resolves.  Unfortunately there is very =
little I or anyone can do about it.  Someone please correct me if I am =
wrong.

Peter Zuge / pzuge@uwsp.edu
Server Support
Univ. of Wisconsin - Stevens Point