List:       ethereal-users
Subject:    Re: [Ethereal-users] Useful input for "wireless sniffing"
From:       Nick Drage <nickd () metastasis ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-03-25 0:44:47

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 01:09:40AM +0100, Ulf Bertilsson wrote:
> Many have asked for config setup for so called wireless sniffing.
>
> I just wanted to dump some info about my config for this usage.

<snip>

> Etheral 0.9.1 with GTK+ 1.2.6, with GLib 1.2.6
> with Libcap 0.4, with libz 1.1.3 wihtout SNMP

For wireless sniffing wouldn't you be better off with the latest libpcap, as
that supports wireless traffic analysis?

> (Using wiretap)
>
> Kismet 1.4 <- For WEP "cracking"

Can you do this with a Cisco 340?  Or is it the case that as the Cisco 340
doesn't support WEP you can sniff it, but you can't join the network once
you've cracked the encryption?

> Airsnort 0.2.0
>
> Basicly you compile this mess.
> Run Ethereal with /et** as device.
>
> I have Cisco 340 card and run their utility
>
> "Acu"
>
> This give "signal meter" option that you can have
> online if you searching for insecure setups.

This isn't really a question for here but thought I'd ask while I was
emailing the list, please reply to me directly.  I'd like to temporarily
build and load the Cisco drivers for my 340 card, so I can use the Cisco
utilities to load new firmware, before reverting to the drivers that come
with the kernel.  Does anyone have an easy way of doing this that they can
explain to me?

Thanks.

--
interfaced diversionary refrigerator