List:       ethereal-users
Subject:    Re: [Ethereal-users] Ignore the prev mail (file for read/capture
From:       Guy Harris <guy () netapp ! com>
Date:       2002-01-28 20:33:55

> Once I have the filter expressions in
> cfilters or dfilters, how do I tell tethereal to use
> those files?

By using a "sed" command to look in the file in question for the filter
with a given name and print the filter expression (without the name) to
its standard output, and using that expression in a command, e.g.

	tethereal `{sed command to extract a particular capture filter}`

or

	tethereal -R `{sed command to extract a particular display filter}`

(on UNIX, anyway; you'd need a Bourne-compatible or C-shell-compatible
shell to do that on Windows - the former, at least, is available in
Cygwin).

I.e., as per my previous mail, Tethereal includes no mechanism
whatsoever to read the filter expression files and use filters from them
by name.