List:       ethereal-users
Subject:    RE: [Ethereal-users] Display filter Problems
From:       "Eugene Spiker" <spiker () practicalsupport ! com>
Date:       2001-12-23 2:53:51

Guy,

Thanks, that works just fine.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: ethereal-users-admin@ethereal.com
[mailto:ethereal-users-admin@ethereal.com] On Behalf Of Guy Harris
Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2001 4:50 PM
To: Eugene Spiker
Cc: Ethereal

On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 01:40:06PM -0500, Eugene Spiker wrote:
> My current problem is that when I define a display filter through the
> Edit/Display Filter menu box (filter name "test" filter string
> "ip.addr eq 192.168.10.1") and then apply it using the filter line
> option box (entering "test") it generates the following error
> "Unexpected end of filter string". If I enter the string (ip.addr eq
> 192.168.10.1) directly into the filter line box it works just fine.
>
> Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

What you're doing wrong is assuming that if you have a filter with a
given name, you can use that filter's name as a filter expression.

That's not supported (and supporting it would make the filter-handling
code more complicated, as it'd have to prevent you from giving filters
names that are valid tokens in filter expressions; otherwise, if, for
example, you had a filter named "sctp" that was

	ip.addr eq 192.168.10.1

how would it know whether a filter expression of "sctp" meant "show only
packets with SCTP in them" or "show only packet with an IP address of
192.168.10.1 in them"?).

To use a filter you've saved with a name, you have to click the
"Filter:" button to pop up the "Display Filter" dialog box, select the
filter from the list of filters, and click "OK".