List:       ethereal-dev
Subject:    Re: [Ethereal-dev] API for plugins?
From:       Guy Harris <guy () netapp ! com>
Date:       2001-07-26 19:23:52

> I looked at the Ethereal documentation, and downloaded the source, and I
> did not see any obvious sign of API documentation for developing new
> plugins for decoding specific protocols.

"doc/README.developer" and "doc/README.tvbuff" are the first two
documents to look at.  Plugin dissectors (i.e., dissectors loaded at run
time) differ very little from built-in dissectors (i.e., dissectors
linked into the Ethereal executable) - they only differ in

	1) the name given to the routines called when the dissector is
	   initialized (the actual routines are the same);

	2) some other information a plugin dissector has to supply.

"doc/README.plugins" discusss the details of what's done differently for
a plugin dissector.