List:       ethereal-dev
Subject:    Re: [Ethereal-dev] Problem compiling the current  cvs version
From:       Guy Harris <guy () netapp ! com>
Date:       2001-07-26 18:47:47

> I'm encountering problems with the modifications regarding
> MacOS X support
> on a system on which g_module_supported() fails and therefore a
> /configure
> results in not compiling the plugins, the constant PLUGIN_DIR is
> not defined but used in an epan_init() call

"epan_init()" only uses the "plugin_dir" argument as an argument to
"proto_init()", and "proto_init()" only uses it if HAVE_PLUGINS is
defined.

So if HAVE_PLUGINS isn't defined, it's OK to pass a null pointer as the
"plugin_dir" argument.

> line 906 of gtk/main.c
> line 244 of tethereal.c
> line 102 of dftest.c
>
> So are these lines necessary?

Yes.  They do a lot more than just starting plugins.

> If not we should comment it out
> if we do not use plugins, if yes we should provide a value for
> the constant. What to do?

Define PLUGIN_DIR as NULL if we don't have plugins.