List:       ethereal-dev
Subject:    Re: [ethereal-dev] capture files that that kill ethereal 0.8.7
From:       don () research-cistw ! saic ! com (Don)
Date:       2000-04-28 19:43:35

Gilbert Ramirez wrote:

> BTW, is the real trace data? Starting from the UDP checksum to the
> end of the packet, the bytes are repeated. It looks like test packets
> that are intentionally corrupt.

(Maniacal laugher) Yup, those are the unaltered packets as they were saved to
disk by an ethereal that gave its core to the cause. I did have to go through
the packets carefully (which is what happened to ether1 and ether2) not only
to reduce the packet set that causes the problems, but also to make sure there
wasn't anything sensitive. Unless the packets were corrupted by the dying
ethereal, they are exactly how I was using them. Which is also why I was
motivated to give you something which would quickly and repeatedly demonstrate
the problem, rather than the ususual vague description of how ethereal died
while it was capturing something.

Thanks for the quick turnaround..